Skip to main content

CAPTURING DESTINY

 I dashed across the street, towards my client, clenching the lens in my hand like a lifeline.

"Sorry Ma, there was traffic," I apologized in-between breaths.

The woman glared at me. "Traffic?" Her hands rested on her hips. "Didn't you say you were going to the next street to hire a lens?"

My heart sank. Kai! Amina. "My plug wasn't available. I had to find another option. I'm truly sorry". 

The woman's anger was palpable. "And you kept me waiting," she accused. "I could've gone elsewhere."

Desperation seized me. "Abeg Ma, no vex. I'm good, I promise, you'll love the end result," I insisted, my voice trembling. If I lose this gig, I won't be able to afford Mama's medications. At 70 years, she's got rheumatism.

"Reduce the fee by 20% then" Her ultimatum hung in the air.

What kind of frustration is this, nau. "10%," I countered. 

I sighed in relief when she reluctantly agreed. I can't afford to falter or lose hope now, not when the bills and Mama's medical expenses keep rising like Agege bread.

      ______________________________________________________________________________________________

The lobby of L'hôtel Des Suites was magnificent, I couldn't help but marvel at it's opulence. Freelancing has its peaks too. I felt accomplished to have shot a client here.

Just then I spotted someone familiar. Trembling with anticipation, I approached the man. "Hello Sir" I ventured. He turned around, and my heart skipped a beat. It's Andy Uchenna!. The renowned celebrity photographer, the photographer who can capture a face in different ways. Overwhelmed, I introduced myself. 

Andy was impressed by my work."You are good at what you do and I like your person. Why don't you work for me?. I'm setting up a studio here in the city, and I'll need an assistant—someone like you who knows my photography style".

I accepted and we exchanged phone numbers.I couldn't contain my joy. 

At 25 years old, this unexpected opportunity felt like a dream come true. I left the hotel brimming with anticipation for the future. I found my beacon of hope in the midst of uncertainty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARYAM SANDA: WOMAN SENTENCED TO DEATH BY HANGING

  This is just not right, please if you know your marriage is toxic, please find a way out of it before it takes your life, please. The High Court in Maitama has sentenced Maryam Sanda, a mother of two, to death by hanging for killing her husband Bilyaminu Bello in their Abuja home on November 19th, 2017. Justice Yusuf Haliru, sentenced her to death by hanging on Monday, after she was found guilty. She kept pleading not guilty, claiming that she didn't kill her husband, that he fell on broken bottles during the fight they had over the female nude picture she saw in his phone, but evidence gathered was that Bilyaminu Bello was stabbed with the intention to kill. She tried to escape through the exit door near the dock but was held by security agents. The convict who was wailing uncontrollably was being held by Officials of the Nigerian Correctional Service who were waiting for the judge to endorse her remand warrant before they took her to prison .                 
Actress Bimbo Afolayan places generational curses on all those that labelled her 'poor' and advised her to get a better house for her mum. According to her, her mum was beaten up by the Chairman of the Landlord Association in the area for refusing to pay bill on her house since they were not carrying out their responsibilities. She cried out for justice to be served. Some men are just so irresponsible and heartless to lay hands on a woman talk more of a woman with a grandchild. Some people seriously need to learn more about respect.